Pari Bibi’s Mazar

Dhaka is a land of long, chequered history. Pari Bibi’s Mazar is one of the most impressive historical monuments of the city can claim to its fame. The memorial over the tomb was made by Shaista Khan, the Mughal Subahdar of Bengal. When I first visited the grave, I was thrilled and spilled at its beautiful art and exterior decor. It was a great pleasure for me to visit there. But when I heard about the story behind the tomb, I got a little pain in my heart. I could feel the sorrowful story of the Mughal period, at the same time I could see a father’s pathetic face for losing his daughter.
Bibi Pari, the daughter of Shaista Khan, who was married to Prince Azam, used to live with the prince at Dhaka. In 1684, an unwanted death of Bibi Pari shocked Shaista Khan so badly which led him to construct the Pari Bibi’s Mazar inside the Lalbagh fort. The construction of the fort was initiated by Prince Azam in 1678. Bibi Pari was buried inside the fort in the ground. Shaista Khan built a magnificent tomb in the memory of his daughter.

To me, certainly the Tomb of Bibi Pari is the most striking phenomenon among the three surviving buildings. The tomb is built with stone blocks, following a Hindu system of roofing temples. The dome above the central room, octagonal in shape, was wrapped by brass plate, originally with gold guild. Like other Mughal buildings in Dhaka the outer surface was plastered. The entire inner face of the main room is covered by white marble. Archaeological investigation discovered that beautiful floral glazed tiles skirted these rooms and recently they were restored as per the design of two original tiles left in the north-eastern room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gulshan DCC Market

Willes Little Flower School